Monday, May 16, 2005

" Three Word Tips "

To All Angles in White

Dear Colleagues,
As some of you might know, I am a recently graduated physician.
A brand new GP!

Through my first independent professional experience as head of the emergency room in a hospital, I have come to some interesting points.
Points that have been mentioned by our professors times and times again, and may sound somewhat repetitious to you.

But as I have somehow re-discovered them myself, they are new to me; and I felt like sharing them with you.
Each of them has a story behind. Sometimes sad, sometimes funny, sometimes tragic, sometimes comic ...
I might someday tell the tale.

As for now, let's take a look at my wisdom treasure!
But before that, promise to let me - and others- know what you think about them.
Many thanks in advance!

Part 1 - First Things First

ABC Comes First.
Blood Pressure, Forever!
Don't Forget Tilt.
Ask All Questions.
Past Medical History!
Explore Current Medications.
Seek Out Pregnancy.
Does She Breast-feed?
Investigate Sexual Activity.
Don't Guess; Ask!


Part 2 - Getting to Work

Perform Complete Examination.
Expose Examination Area.
Over-estimate Every Chest-Pain.
Ask For ECGs.
Diff Is Important.
Diagnose; Then Alleviate.
When Uncertain, Check.
Inspect Filled Prescription.
Supervise The Nurses.
Record All Details.


Part 3 - White Coat Etiquette

Put Patient First.
Explain To Patient.
Express Your Care.
Don't Show Doubt.
Never Lose Patience.
Reassurance Is Healing.
Sympathize With Patient.
Exaggerate Your Warnings.
Remember Patient's Name.
Relax; Be Confident!



So why don't you (specially the brand new ones!) go on and share your own experiences, points, ideas, methods, etc.
All kinds of comments are enormously appreciated!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Brand new Dr
I read ur comment in one of orkut communities, it was inetersting,
I really really appreciate ur thoghts,

as u might have encountered ,such feelings are rare among medical ones!

wish u happiness and peace in all parts of ur life!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dear Dadashi
u ok?
how is everything over there?
did u hear one of my actors (a female one) died in a car crash?
i am stunned...
but as before ur peoms are ....vow brilliant...
take care if u could call me...
hassan

Anonymous said...

its really gud t know abt ur experience so from where did u have ur graduation now wot are u planning next??

Anonymous said...

3 months of my 3rd year experience... these are precisely the ones we've been taught so far.

Anonymous said...

hey im just in 1st ry rigth now..but will definitely rem all dat for future....

Anonymous said...

I am a doctor but not a physician.I am a pathologist.
I would like to share a couple of advices which were rendered to us by our Professors while we were to young medical students or house officers.
The most important ,to me ,which i would share with the members of the forum is
"come to the wave lenghth of the patient"take some time to talk to the patient,judging his personality and attitude towards life and level of reaction to his symtoms.I have personally seen cases of frank M.I where the patient described the pain as mild because of his patience level and attiude.on the other hand i have seen cases of mild gastritis where i little discomfort was presented and described as severe pain in the epigastrium with a belief as if the patient had sever M.I.
The second tip i would share with the members is "Do not forget the clinical methods book,putting it in some corner of the rack'
Spare some time to read it daily,as if you ready a holy book"
I will be sharing some more tips in near future.
regards
Muhammad Munir

Anonymous said...

Dear Ali
I totally agree with you... it's so important to remember all these points when you're dealing with you're pacient.
It's nice that you put down in words. Congratulations

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

tnx 4 sharing your expriences in the community ,waiting 4 more !

Anonymous said...

Dear Ali,

Every nice and precise comments you gave us. I wanted to thank you and give some of my experiences.

1- Always CHECK even if you are 100% sure
I discovered a paratonsillar abscess that the patient complaint of a heartburn and an old "cold" which was managed 2 days ago by some one else !!!

2- "IMPORTANT for those GPs in service like me"
Do not think everybody are malingering.
I discovered a testicular cancer in a soldier which had a little discomfort in his testicles.

Arman Arghami

Anonymous said...

Dear Ali,

Your comments are very important and I believe that for a successful practice, any physician must have them in mind. Also, the way you have categorized them is very intelligent. Thank you for sharing them.

I would like to mention a small point about your white coat etiquette points. I guess you meant a physician must empathize with the patient since, as you know a physician should not sympathize with a patient.

I look forward to reading more points from you in future,

All the best,
Farzad